Penner Gets Chatty
New (or old, depending on how you look at it) Duck Dustin Penner agreed to take part in a live chat with fans -- who submitted questions via the web and Twitter -- on Wednesday afternoon. Here's a little of what we learned:
- If you call him to start the chat a little after the promised time of 1 p.m., he answers the phone with, "You're four minutes late."
- He figured Teemu Selanne would announce his return to the Ducks as soon as the ink hit the paper for Penner's signing with the team. When asked if he thought 8 would return, he sarcastically replied: I would think he'd come back pretty quickly after I signed and said, "Now that Penner's back..." I'm pretty disappointed he hasn't already.
- He was inevitably asked about the pancake incident from when he was in LA, and came back with:
Obviously the severity of the incident has become more of a comedic thing. But I probably have had pancakes at least twice this offseason without incident. I'm more of a bacon and eggs type of guys anyway. #PrayForDustin.
- He named his dog Ryback, and there is a long, intricate story as to why: I got him at a canine ranch Adelhorst in San Bernardino where a lot of law enforcement get their dogs. It's a place where dogs train to detain criminals. It happened to be that Steven Segal was getting a dog too. He was looking at the same one I was and he had first dibs, and they gave him a week to buy it. He had to run things by his family and he ultimately said no. I swooped in there and took the dog, and named him after the character he plays in Under Siege.
- His favorite restaurant in Newport Beach? A good choice: I'd say The Cannery, for sure. They've got really good sushi, and it's kind of a one-stop shop. You can get everything there.
- Asked if he trash-talked his Ducks friends when he was with the Kings, he referenced this YouTube video (which I hadn't seen before): I made it a point to talk trash to those guys, especially Getzlaf and Perry. There was a play, I think it's on YouTube, where Perry chirps me, and I get up and line him up, knock him down and kind of land on top of him on his back. He lays there crying. I knew he was faking it, so that felt pretty good.
- He was later asked by Bobby Ryan what his handicap was in the Golden Tee golf video game: I'd say about a plus-12. I'd have to give you about eight strokes a side.
- On what he eats postgame: After games most players don't have the stomach to eat. But sometimes you have to eat if you have a game the next day. More times than not, you just have a shake and go to bed. When I do eat after, I like to have some pasta with a light sauce.
- He was asked who would play him in a movie about his life: Hopefully Vince Vaughn. Both of us like to talk a lot and joke a lot, and can be a bit confrontational and passive-aggressive.
(P.S. He used a different word for "confrontational" but we asked him to choose a different one.)
- Favorite movies? The Big Lewbowski and both Bad Boys movies. Favorite band? A trio of DJs called Above and Beyond.
- How he unwinds after a game is different than it was during his years in Edmonton: Depending on what time the game ends, you might have a couple beers with friends down at a beach bar. You can go a little more unnoticed down here than Edmonton. But more times than not, people don't bother you too much. They just say, "I'm a fan. Have a nice night." But depending on what time it is, I might just take the dog down to the beach after a game. It's always nice to have the ocean in your back yard.
- The first thing he did after signing with the Ducks? Go on a serious run on the links: I actually did make three birdies on a row after the news broke, so that had to be a good omen.
- He likes his iPad on the plane, and an occasional poker game: I watch movies on my iPad. A lot of guys play poker and other card games, like snarple and 7-up 7-down. I stay away from the other games, but I'll play poker.
- Growing up, he looked up to: Definitely my dad, but Mario Lemieux was someone I always idolized.
All in all, Penner was just as engaging, funny and occasionally biting as we'd expect. And based on the number of questions that came in that unfortunately weren't able to be answered, we'd definitely like to do another one of these chats with him down the road.