Some of the sights within walking distance of the Ducks’ hotel in Washington D.C.
The White House
The White House is the oldest public building in the District of Columbia. And its address, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, is the most famous address in the United States. It is here where every President, except George Washington, has conducted the government of the Nation. The White House was designed by Irish-born James Hoban and built between 1792 and 1800 of white-painted Aquia Creek sandstone in the Neoclassical style. Since 1792, the White House has become symbolic of the American Presidency throughout the world.
United States Capitol
The United States Capitol is the meeting place of the nation's legislature. The Capitol also houses an important collection of American art, and is an architectural achievement. In fact, like the federal buildings for the executive and judicial branches, the Capitol is built in the distinctive neoclassical style with a white exterior. Construction of the U.S. Capitol began in 1793, and in November 1800, the U.S. Congress met in the first completed portion of the building, the north wing. The Capitol represents the freedom and ideals of the Nation.
United States Treasury Building
The United States Treasury Building, located at 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, is a National Historic Landmark building and the headquarters of the United States Department of the Treasury. The Department of the Treasury is an executive department and the treasury of the U.S. federal government, and was established by an Act of Congress in 1789 to manage government revenue. The first Secretary of the Treasury was Alexander Hamilton, who was sworn into office on Sept. 11, 1789. A bronze statue of Hamilton was dedicated on May 17, 1923, and can be found on the south patio of the U.S. Treasury Building. An image of the Treasury Building can be found on the back of the United States ten-dollar bill.
Old Post Office Pavilion
The Old Post Office Pavilion is a historic building located at 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Construction was completed in 1899, and it was used as the city's main post office until 1914. The Old Post Office Pavilion, officially renamed the Nancy Hanks Center in 1983, was nearly torn down during the construction of the Federal Triangle complex in the 1920s. It was nearly demolished again 50 years later to make way for completion of Federal Triangle [10 large city and federal office buildings, all of which are part of the Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site]. The structure is the third tallest building in the city, and the 270-foot-high observation deck in the 315-foot-high tower offers views of the city.
|Back to top ↑|